HI, I’M GARY M. PROTTAS, A LICENSED CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKER, GESTALT THERAPIST & PSYCHOANALYST. I AM A TRAINED EMDR CLINICIAN AND CERTIFIED CLINICAL HYPNOTIST AND CERTIFIED GROUP FACILITATOR.
I believe that you have all the answers you seek inside yourself and I would guide you to find the resources to cope effectively. I view the therapy in terms of the “I-Thou” and the “Here and Now.” What occurs in therapy is what occurs outside of therapy. That is, the same patterns you have in your life come up in the therapy session and here is where the work and the learning occurs. Therapy should not only provide a relief from symptoms but also give you the tools to live a more fully realized and aware life. I am committed to helping you achieve this.
I SPECIALIZE IN THE FOLLOWING ISSUES:
I have extensive experience with issues relating to relationships, sexuality, physical illnesses, couple’s and marital counseling, adult survivors of childhood molestation, people in recovery and spirituality. I work with individuals, couples and groups, and I have been facilitating groups since 1982.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND WORKSHOPS
Astrology Class for Beginners
Sundays at 6–8pm for 6 weeks / Begins October 30th, 2016
- Learn about astrology chart planets and transits as they move through the houses and how they relate to your life
- Suggested reading for you to learn the process further and guide you in these eight weeks
- Above all, compassion is necessary to move through your chart
- The fee for the full workshop is $640, or each session for $80. RSVP by November 9th. Please contact Gary M. Prottas, LCSW, LP to reserve your space. Tel # 212-645-1152 or email at Gmprottas@nyc.rr.com.
Grief/Loss & Bereavement Workshop in the Fall
- Grief is best worked through in a group setting
- Grief is not only a death of a loved one, but also the loss of love, safety, nurturing, affection, acceptance and anything else you needed from a parent
- Grief involves all kinds of feelings that are valid including, anger, regret, sadness, relief, numb, grateful, appreciative, lost, or guilty, and many other feelings that arise from this process. We get in touch with feelings we didn’t know we had and we learn to identify them in this group
- In this group we will use the “Grief Recovery Handbook” written by John W. James and Russell Friedman, and we will write: (1) A Loss History Graph (as outlined in the book); (2) a letter to the person we lost with an outline I will provide; and (3) a relationship graph (as outlined in the book)
- Through this process we will also use other techniques such as a collage or grief box by the end of this process. We will determine what is forgivable and what is not and convey any undelivered emotional statements. We will also bring in photos or anything that represents the loss
- The fee for each workshop is $60 per session. Please contact Gary M. Prottas, LCSW, LP to reserve your space. Tel # 212-645-1152 or email at Gmprottas@nyc.rr.com.